Vibration in the workplace is one of the most common occupational health and safety risks, with more than an estimated four million people at risk of developing health complications because of excessive exposure at work.
Having the right tools to measure and monitor vibration levels is essential to ensure that your employees’ health and well-being is protected, but also to safeguard your business against potential claims.
What are the risks of excessive vibration exposure?
Health and safety officers and managers have a host of occupational risks to contend with, whether it slips, trips, and falls, fire or noise. But vibration is just as important and presents its own set of dangers, including Reynaud’s syndrome and hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS).
HAVS is caused by excessive vibration levels from handheld power tools and machinery used in the workplace. A painful, disabling, and irreversible condition, HAVS affects blood vessels, nerves, and joints, and over time can prevent people from carrying out normal everyday tasks.
In more serious cases of HAVS, it can cause permanent disability and in extreme cases, it can lead to the amputation of affected areas.
Early symptoms of HAVS include:
- Tingling and numbness in fingers
- Not being able to feel things properly
- Loss of strength in hands
- Fingers going white and becoming red on recovery
What does the law say?
The Control of Vibration at Work Regulations 2005 require employers to:
- Make sure that risks from vibration are controlled
- Provide information, instruction, and training to employees on the risk and the actions being taken to control risk
- Provide suitable health surveillance to employees
We HAV the solution for HAVS
The Revo Hand-Arm Vibration Meter, from Cirrus Research, is an advanced and easy-to-deploy hand-arm vibration meter that can be used to measure the vibration levels of workplace machinery and equipment.
Supplied with everything you need to easily and effectively measure hand-arm vibration, including a free vibration level calculator, Revo is the comprehensive solution you need to help protect your employees and business from the risks associated with excessive vibration exposure.
Key features include:
- 3-channel FFT for the detection of main frequencies
- Stored up to 10000 measurements and up to 1000 FFT measurements
- Colour screen display of running and interval measurement values
- USB interface for quick download of data
- Available as part of a complete vibration measurement kit (includes all accessories needed to effectively measure hand-arm vibration)
Latest posts by Jaymee-lee Tolliday (see all)
- The importance of measuring vibration at work - 15th September 2021
- Noise pollution and its effect on people - 27th August 2021
- Cirrus Research plc joins SME Climate Hub and commits to halve greenhouse gas emissions before 2030 towards net-zero before 2050 - 10th August 2021