Some older Cirrus sound level meters and doseBadge Reader units that had an RS232 data output were supplied with a converter to allow the instruments to be used with a USB connection. This converter is the Sunix UTS1009B.
The drivers supplied with this converter were compatible with Windows XP. If you have upgraded your PC to Windows Vista or Windows 7, these drivers may not be compatible. If you reinstall the software onto your new PC from the original CD, the older drivers will be installed and you may find that the software cannot connect to your instrument.
To ensure that the converter can be used with the latest versions of Windows, the drivers must be updated.
Please note that these drivers must be installed using full Administrator access rights.
The USB-to-Serial converter supplied by Cirrus is the Sunix UTS1009B. The latest drivers are available from the manufacturer’s website at www.sunix.com.tw
The Windows driver installer can be downloaded directly by following this link: http://dl.sunix.com.tw/upload_product_driver/SUNIX.zip
To update the drivers:
1. Plug in the USB to Serial Converter.
2. Open the Device Manager. There will be a yellow warning icon shown next to any devices that are a problem.
3. Locate the warning for the USB to Serial Converter and uninstall the driver.
4. Unplug the USB to Serial Converter.
5. Run the current Sunix installer software.
6. Choose “Uninstall” from the options.
7. When this is complete, run the Sunix installer software again.
8. Choose to install a new version of the drivers.
9. When the installation is complete, connect the USB to Serial converter and Windows 7 will load the correct driver.
10. Check in the device manager that there are no warnings for the USB to Serial Converter.
This will have updated the drivers and the instrument should be able to connect successfully.